Making a dress for Makenna’s First Holy Communion with her help was a good plan…I just should have started a little sooner.
Since I didn’t, I spent Saturday afternon making ‘yo-yo’ flowers at Jarod’s baseball game, and stitching them on the dress while watching an Indy car race on tv at 11:00 Saturday night. Which was ok, I guess because it actually gave me a reason to sit.
The fun part was having Makenna help make the whole thing. The cutting, the sewing and even the ‘designing’ since I decided not to work from the pattern we bought (because I’m just not very good at following patterns.)
We made a simple pillowcase dress out of a 22″ by 29″ (length) piece of eyelet fabric. The armholes were cut in 6″ and down 4″. The straps were made of more eyelet fabric. And the belt and bottom ruffle trim were made with plain white cotton.
For the embellishments we made lots of pretty white yo-yo flowers and then stitched some pretty beads in the center of each. They worked great at the top front to cover the area where the straps were sewn on to the dress, but we didn’t like just two flowers and decided to add five total to make the flower ‘necklace’ that you see.
When the ruffle trim turned out to be too long, we gathered it up in a few places and added the flowers to cover the stitching there too. I love those flowers.
The final touches were more flowers sewn on her shoes and on her headband hairpiece.
Makenna really loved it, and she was so proud to have helped make it herself.
And since we had the fabric our only expense was about $10 for the headpiece base and beads and ribbon. Yeah!