I finally got around to trying to making pillowcase dresses for the girls.
Yes, Jarod is still begging for his shorts I have been trying to make for three weeks, but dresses are so much more fun! And you can tell that the photo shoot did not go well, so I took a few photos minus the tempermental models to give a little bit better view.
I’m pretty happy with the way they turned out since it was the first time I made a dress without a real pattern. I took directions from here, and had to modify and redo and redo Makenna’s to get it to fit nice since she’s almost 8. The next ones I make will be easier.
I didn’t make either one from an actual pillowcase. I just took some fabric from my stash, thank you Aunt Jane, and sewed up the bottom and side as if it was a pillowcase. Then I cut the armholes. That was my biggest issue, it just didn’t seem like 3 to 4 inches of depth for the armholes was enough for Makenna’s, but it was.
I raided a box of old lace doilies and table runners, because apprently ’back in the day’ all my relatives used doilies and table runners, and I recycled (or shall I say upcycled) a lace runner. I was most excited about that, because I literally have boxes and bags with the things and hadn’t known what to do with them until now.
Lastly, Makenna made a little yo-yo flower for the top since the dresses looked a little empty. We still have to put one on her dress, but we’re going away for the weekend and she will have plenty of time sitting in the car to stitch a few of them.
The bottom line is that I will be making plenty more of these quick dresses in the next week or two (after I finish Jarod’s shorts…I promise). And Makenna is begging that she really, really, really wants to take the photos of her little sister next time.